Convent of the Discalced Carmelites

In the first half of the 20th century, Mother Maravillas de Jesús decided to establish a new convent in the same places where the first male Discalced Carmelites were founded, Duruelo and Mancera. In April 1944, she established the convent that still exists today and is occupied by cloistered Carmelite nuns.



It was built on top of the remains of the original convent, which had been built by St. John of the Cross and Friar Antonio de Jesús in 1570. The Fourth Lord of Mancera had convinced them to move to Mancera from Duruelo, where they had taken up residence just two years earlier. As the site of the first male foundation of the Discalced Carmelites, Mancera assumed its place in history.

The Carmelites left Mancera in 1600 and the convent was later occupied by another order, the Minims of St. Francis de Paola, who lived there until the 19th century. After their departure, it was abandoned and was ultimately destroyed.

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
   
 
Ayuntamiento de Mancera de Abajo. 2018
Plaza La Paz, 1 - 37315 - Mancera de Abajo. Telf.: 923 56 00 01